Sunday, May 27, 2012

Why We Should Drink 50 Ounces of Water Each Day:

How are you doing on the water aspect of this challenge?

I had never really paid much attention the amount of water I drink before this challenge, but I can tell a huge difference in how I feel when I get at least 50 ounces of water each day.

There are many varying recommendations about how much water we should drink. Two common ones are to drink 8 eight-ounce glasses a day, or to divide your body weight in half and drink that many ounces. Because we actually get about 20-50% of our water from food (depending on the kinds of food we eat), we may not need to drink as much. The goal is to have clear urine, not to be running to the bathroom 10 times a day. 50 ounces is an achievable goal to keep our bodies hydrated without going crazy. Here are some benefits of staying hydrated:

1. Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids. Your body is composed of about 60% water. The functions of these bodily fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature.
2. Water Can Help Control Calories. For years, dieters have been drinking lots of water as a weight loss strategy. While water doesn't have any magical effect on weight loss, substituting it for higher calorie beverages can certainly help. Water-rich foods include fruits, vegetables, broth-based soups, oatmeal, and beans.
3. Water Helps Energize Muscles. Cells that don't maintain their balance of fluids and electrolytes shrivel, which can result in muscle fatigue. During exercise, they recommend that people start drinking fluids early, and drink them at regular intervals to replace fluids lost by sweating.
4. Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good. Your skin contains plenty of water, and functions as a protective barrier to prevent excess fluid loss. You can also help "lock" moisture into your skin by using moisturizer, which creates a physical barrier to keep moisture in.
5. Water Helps Your Kidneys. Body fluids transport waste products in and out of cells. When you're getting enough fluids, urine flows freely, is light in color and free of odor. When your body is not getting enough fluids, urine concentration, color, and odor increases because the kidneys trap extra fluid for bodily functions.
6. Water Helps Maintain Normal Bowel Function. Adequate hydration keeps things flowing along your gastrointestinal tract and prevents constipation. When you don't get enough fluid, the colon pulls water from stools to maintain hydration -- and the result is constipation.


3 comments:

  1. Jill, I just went to take my vitamins today and noticed yesterday's still in the container. So I went in and changed my points for last week from 48 to 47. I didn't know if you had already counted my 48 and I wanted it to be accurate. Sorry for the mix-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this information. I love drinking water.

    I have to tell you a funny story. A few weeks ago I had an issue that put me in the ER. My liver was totally out of whack and they were very concerned about how much I drank. I laughed and said I don't drink at all. Well, I ended up going to another doctor after I was released and when her nurse was going through a questionnaire she asked about how much alcohol I drank and I said, "I don't drink at all." Then when the doctor came in she was concerned about the results of liver function tests, and then asked about my urine output and I said, "My urine is always clear because I drink a lot". She looked a little perplexed and then began questioning me, and I said, "Let me clarify, I drink a LOT OF WATER!!!!"

    ReplyDelete